Sunday, October 22, 2006

Garbage lit up with mud lamps


Its been such a wonderful week. I've been in festive mood. This saturday was Diwali, the festival of lights. And this wednesday will be Id. Festive seasons are so marvellous, aren't they? There is this fantastic spirit and enthusiasm everywhere. I've seen, experienced some really beautiful moments this week.

I pass through some of the most poorest localities. And in those polluted, crowded streets with traffic jams, I felt as if I'm learning some of the most valuable lessons of acceptance, joy, beauty and bliss.

I see people all around me doing what they can, with what they have and just being happy. There are lights and lanterns all around. Shops selling fire-crackers, sweets. I pass through some muslim localities and I see them all in the festive moods. Buying stuff, embracing each other. To me, I would feel, how can anyone live here? It is so stinky and messy and crowded. But then they dont percieve this as lack and bad. To them they are glad in this moment and happy.

I saw a garbage dealer on a lonely deserted pitch dark road, light a little mud lamp and place it in between the stinky yucky garbage. It changed my perception of garbage. It suddenly seemed to glow in that little light shining in the darkness. Garbage also has life. It was my perception of it which made me feel it is yucky and stinky. Now when I saw it in a the light of the little mud lamp, I could not smell its stench.

Earlier I had felt like, I want to reach out and comfort in situations like this. But then when I saw just a little more clearly I found that perhaps, the beauty is in his acceptance of what he is creating and (trying to) enjoy his creations. There was a certain bliss he portrayed like as if in his lack he found a little abundance in the mud lamp. His spirt and enthusiasm was so contagious, it spread to me and filled my heart

I'm learning to see abundance even in my lack. I realise then that there is no lack, there is no black, there is just joy and gladness. We have choices on what we want to focus on.

The things life teaches me through these little scenes absolutely astounds me . And every bit of this is real. To know that life, light and love graces everyone, it makes no comparisons and it has no favorites, makes me feel so beautiful.

9 Comments:

Anonymous amrit said...

:)

6:04 AM  
Blogger WDKY said...

And you shed similar light, and reveal similar beauty, for us Anu - as you share your thoughts. Thats one of the reasons I love you so much.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Caterpillar said...

This is so wonderful! I have such images in my mind now! Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, and so much depends on our perspective. I love hearing your joy and positivity!!!

6:18 PM  
Blogger anu said...

amrit :)

wdky - What are the others ;)

Butterfly - And butterflies have such beautiful eyes, you see :)

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi dear !

belated diwali & id greetings, been away & slogging. Lots of love.

4:34 PM  
Blogger anu said...

Thank you, Wish you a restful peaceful year head :)

10:40 AM  
Blogger openeyes said...

you are amazing...your words heal me.

10:51 AM  
Blogger anu said...

Ohh Open eyes, thank you :)

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading all the aikido move information on your site. You can check out my aikido move site if you like.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home